Friday, March 11, 2011

Week 8B Reflection on Hero / Villain

One: Michael Mytnick




Okay, for Mike and Amanda’s hero and villain project, I really liked how they played with light and shadow… literally. Their hero was based on light and named “Icarus”, which is a character from Greek mythology (I know this thanks to my mythology class). The myth is about Icarus, with wings crafted from feathers and wax, is told not to fly too close to the sun, but he does anyway and his wings melt causing him to fall to his death. Though I liked that they referenced Greek myths, I was unsure how this applied to their theme of light. Maybe the whole “sun” thing applied, I’m not sure. Other than that, I really liked the concept. Obviously, they use color and symbolism. Their hero is yellow and uses light in the animation as a defense. The yellow is a warm color and brings about positive emotions. The villain is colored purple, which is a dark color and could stir some darker emotions. Obviously, they also use shadow; that’s the entire concept of their characters. My only complaint for their project is that Icarus’ animation is slightly hard to see, but I think that could’ve happened when they formatted their video from Pencil to Youtube. They use movement in their animation, especially the one where the hero and villain are having a show down. I thought it was interesting how they made the villain win and the hero be dissolved by the shadow puppet. Overall, I think the combination worked very well for them.



Chris’ two characters were called Hotspot and Spark. This may sound stupid, but because I was absent for the presentations, I did not get to see which one was the hero and which one was the villain. I am going to make an educated guess and say that Hotspot was the hero and Spark was the villain. I made this assumption due to the colors that Chris and his partner used. Spark is done in a drab scheme, grey and light blue. His background is dark and his eyes are slanted in an evil-looking way. Hotspot is quite the opposite, featuring brighter and warmer colors like reds and yellows. Spark appears to use storms and lightening as a defense, and his costume was designed to reference that, while Hotspot uses fire and his outfit corresponds with that as well. Whoever designed Hotspot used shadows to emphasize space and give his character depth. I did not get to see the animation so I didn’t see how the characters reacted to one another. However, it’s easy to imagine. Their characters were very cut and dry—this is good, this is bad. Their color choice was obvious and, without knowing any of the back-story, I was able to effetely identify which character was which. 


Three: Emily Zink

The last Hero and Villain reflection I did was Emily Zink’s. Her’s was on of my favorite because I thought both her characters were very creative as well as the animations and drawings were really well done. So, the first character, the villain, is named Brandi il Mondo. I liked how the character did not seem like a villain, i.e. didn’t look evil, however, to hipsters, she’s the worst. Emily described the character as, “a corporate tightwad who tries to thwart the hipsters in any way using her Olympics level gymnastic skills and pen-throwing precision.” The villain wears a dark black suit and grey tie. She also wears an eye patch and has pinkish hair. The look of the villain is very obviously dark and shadowed; she is dressed in monochromatic colors. I thought the animation for the villain was extremely well-done. You can tell a lot of time was spent on it, and I like how they added background music. The hero is Hipster Man, who I also thought was equally creative. I like how he is described as, “willing to give up his time in coffee shops to fight crime and protect his fellow innocent hipsters”. Obviously, there is an affinity between the characters and it was nice to see such good projects. 

No comments:

Post a Comment